Tompkins Cortland Community College

Success & Advising

Academic Advisement at Tompkins Cortland

Each full-time student is assigned to a faculty member for academic advisement, and usually stays with the same advisor until graduation unless the student changes degree programs. Part-time students are usually advised through the Student Success and Advisement office. Your academic advisor has an understanding of the degree requirements for your degree program, as well as information about career and transfer possibilities for the program. In addition, your advisor can help you learn about College policies and regulations. Your advisor is accessible through regularly posted office hours or by appointment and can also be reached via office phone and email. Your advisor can also be helpful in connecting you with campus resources such as tutoring or counseling.

It is recommended that you meet with your advisor for the first time early in your first semester at the College to discuss your goals and to begin long-term planning for your degree program. At a minimum, you will meet with your advisor each semester prior to registering for the following semester’s classes. You will also need to meet with your advisor any time you want to make changes to your schedule during a semester (drop/add/withdraw).

Students who are interested in changing degree programs need to meet with an academic advisor to fill out a Change of Program form. If you are staying within the same discipline, such as changing from the Criminal Justice A.S. to the A.A.S., you can meet with your current academic advisor to make the change. Otherwise, please make an appointment with someone from the Student Success and Advisement office to assist you with the change, because it is important that you understand how any courses you have already taken will fit into the new degree program, as well as understanding the impact of the change on your academic goals. Sometimes, there are also financial aid considerations that need to be discussed.

Academic advisement is available even for students who do not take classes on the main campus. You can always contact your advisor via phone or email. Also, an advisor from the Student Success and Advisement office holds office hours at each Extension Center several times during the semester.