American History to 1877
Worlds Collide, Europe, Africa and America, 1450-1620
|Table of Contents||Previous Chapter||Next Chapter|
These resources have been selected by librarians to supplement HSTY201 classes (American History to 1877) at Tompkins Cortland Community College.
- Gale Virtual Reference Collection
- Books and eBooks in TC3 Collection
- Subject Headings
- Locating Journal Articles in Databases
- Web Resources
TC3 students and staff have access to the Gale Virtual Reference Library which has over 250 academic reference encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. This is a good place to start your research because it provides useful background information.
- 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus [E61 .M266 2005]
- Bartolome´de las Casas: a Selection of His Writings [F1411 .C4273]
- British Atlantic World, 1500-1800 [E18.82 .B75 2002]
- Cahokia: Domination and Ideology in the Mississippian World - ACLS Humanities E-Book
- Christopher Columbus Encyclopedia 2 vols. [REF E111 .C774]
- Copán: the History of an Ancient Maya Kingdom [F1435.1.C7 C67 2005]
- England and the Discovery of America, 1481-1620 - ACLS Humanities E-Book. Subtitled: from the Bristol voyages of the fifteenth century to the Pilgrim settlement at Plymouth: the exploration, exploitation, and trial-and-error colonization of North America by the English by David Beers Quinn.
- English People on the Eve of Colonization, 1603-1630 [DA380 .N6]
- Explorations in America Before Columbus [E105 .H69]
- Great Journey: The Peopling of Ancient America [E61 .F34 1987]
- Hispanic Presence in North America from 1492 to Today [O-SIZE E169.1 .F375 1991]
- Maya [F1435 .C72 1999]
- Protestant Reformation, 1517-1559 [D6 .R5 v.3]
- A Voyage Long and Strange: Rediscovering the New World [E101 .H77 2008]
- World We Have Lost [DA320 .L3]
- Worlds of Christopher Columbus [E111 .P67]
To find books in the TC3 Library, search the Online Catalag; to find books in other libraries use the WorldCat or the SUNY Union Catalog. Books and other materials not in the TC3 collection may be requested through the TC3 Library's Get It! – Information Delivery service.
Try these suggested subject headings to find books on this topic in the TC3 Library Catalog as well as in the SUNY Union Catalog and WorldCat. To find books in the TC3 Library, go to the main Library page and search the TC3 Catalog.
- America Discovery and Exploration, Norse
- America, Discovery and exploration, Spanish
- Indians, History
- Pueblo Indians
- Spain, Colonies, America
- United States, History, Colonial Period, ca. 1600-1775
- The Buried Mirror: Reflections on Spain and the New World [videorecording] by Carlos Fuentes [Media DP48 .B87 1991]
- Conquest and Colony (2008) - Streaming Video, Films on Demand. "The diaries of Columbus, Bartolomé de las Casas’ History of the Indies, Bernal Díaz’ True History of the Conquest of New Spain, and Bernardino de Sahagún’s Florentine Codex are explored along with works from indigenous authors of the early colonial period." (46 minutes)
- 500 Nations "Eight-part documentary that looks back at life in North America before the arrival of the Europeans, then follows the epic struggles of Indian Nations as the continent is reshaped by contact." [Media E77 .F58 2004 - Reserve]
- Norse in North America - This site offers an overview of the history of the Norse in North America. Included within are bibliographies, maps, and photographs providing evidence of their lives and social customs.
- Chaco Culture National Historical Park - New Mexico.
- Early Americas Digital Archive - "Collection of electronic texts originally written in or about the Americas from 1492 to approximately 1820."
- Mesa Verde National Park - Colorado.