American History to 1877
Toward Independence: Years of Decison, 1763-1776
|Table of Contents||Previous Chapter||Next Chapter|
These resources have been selected by librarians to supplement HSTY201 classes (American History to 1877) at Tompkins Cortland Community College.
TC3 students and staff have access to the Gale Virtual Reference Library which has over 250 academic reference encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. This is a good place to start your research because it provides useful background information.
- Annals of America 19 vols. [REF E173 .A793]
- Birth of America: the Year in Review, 1763-1783 [REF E187 .B5] - Primary Source
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of the American Revolution [REF E208 .B635 1991]
- Cultural History of the American Revolution: Painting, Music, Literature, and the Theatre in the Colonies and the United States from the Treaty of Paris to the Inauguration of George Washington, 1763-1789 [NX503.5 .S54 1976]
- Debating the Issues in Colonial Newspapers: Primary Documents on Events of the Period [E187 .C78 2000]
- Encyclopedia of the New American nation: the emergence of the United States, 1754-1829 - Online, Gale Virtual Reference Library
- Foundations of American Independence, 1763-1815 [E195 .P83]
- First Stroke: Lexington, Concord, and the Beginning of the American Revolution [E241.L6 F55]
- Glorious Cause: the American Revolution, 1763-1789 [E173 .O94 v.2]
- Leap in the Dark: the Struggle to Create the American Republic by John Ferling [E195 .F47 2003]
- Paul Revere’s Ride by David Hackett Fischer [F69.R43 F57 1994]
- Samuel Adams: Father of the American Revolution [E302.6.A2 P85 2006]
- Toward Lexington; the Role of the British Army in the Coming of the American Revolution - by John Shy [E210 .S5] Also available online via ACLS Humanities E-Book.
- The Unknown American Revolution: the Unruly Birth of Democracy and the Struggle to Create America by Gary B. Nash [E208 .N33 2005]
To find books in the TC3 Library, search the Online Catalag; to find books in other libraries use the WorldCat or the SUNY Union Catalog. Books and other materials not in the TC3 collection may be requested through the TC3 Library's Get It! – Information Delivery service.
Try these suggested subject headings to find books on this topic in the TC3 Library Catalog as well as in the SUNY Union Catalog and WorldCat.
- Adams, Samuel, 1722-1803
- American newspapers, Indexes
- Arts, American, History
- Lexington, Battle of, 1775
- United States, History, Colonial Period, ca. 1600-1775
- Birth of America: the year in review, 1763-1783 - Newspapers reproduced in chronological order. [Microfilm, 16 Reels, last drawer, Microfilm Cabinets] Accompanied by text. [REF E187 .B5]. There is an index to the collection [REF E187 .B5]
- Avalon Project at Yale Law School - Collection of primary documents in the areas of Diplomacy, Economics, Government, History, Law, and Politics in the 18th through the 21st century.
- Documents from the Continental Congress and the Constitutional Convention, 1774-1789 - American Memory Project, Library of Congress. Primary sources.