American History to 1877
Invasion and Settlement of North America, 1550-1700
|Table of Contents||Previous Chapter||Next Chapter|
These resources have been selected by librarians to supplement HSTY201 classes (American History to 1877) at Tompkins Cortland Community College.
- Gale Virtual Reference Collection
- Books and eBooks in TC3 Collection
- Subject Headings
- Locating Journal Articles in Databases
- Web Resources
TC3 students and staff have access to the Gale Virtual Reference Library which has over 250 academic reference encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. This is a good place to start your research because it provides useful background information.
- Bradford's History of Plymouth plantation, 1606-1646 - HathiTrust Digital Library (Primary source).
- Coming of the White Man, 1492-1848 [E169.1 .H671]
- Eyewitness to History [Ref D5 .E94 1987] - Primary Source.
- Indians and English: Facing Off in Early America [E59.F53 K86 2000]
- Invasion of America: Indians, Colonialism, and the Cant of Conquest [F7 .J46 1976]
- Making haste from Babylon: the Mayflower Pilgrims and their world: a new history By Nick Bunker. [F68 .B936 2010]
- Mayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War [F68 .P44 2006]
- Narratives of the witchcraft cases, 1648-1706 - HathiTrust Digital Library. (Primary source).
- Provincial Society, 1690-1763, by James Truslow Adams [E169.1 .H673)
- White Man’s Burden; Historical Origins of Racism in the United States [E446 .J67]
- Witchcraft in early North America by Alison Games [BF1573 .G36 2010] - Primary sources.
- Winthrop's journal, "History of New England," 1630-1649 = edited by James Kendall Hosmer. HathiTrust Digital Library (Primary source).
- The Wonder-working providence, of Sion's Saviour in New England, 1629-1651. - By Edward Johnson (1599?-1672). Massachusetts Colony. (Primary source) HathiTrust Digital Library.
To find books in the TC3 Library, search the Online Catalag; to find books in other libraries use the WorldCat or the SUNY Union Catalog. Books and other materials not in the TC3 collection may be requested through the TC3 Library's Get It! – Information Delivery service.
Try these suggested subject headings to find books on this topic in the TC3 Library Catalog as well as in the SUNY Union Catalog and WorldCat. To find books in the TC3 Library, go to the main Library Gateway page and select "TC3 Catalog."
- African Americans, History To 1863
- America, Discovery and Exploration, English
- Indians of North America, First Contact with Europeans
- Indians of North America, History, Colonial Period, ca. 1600-1775
- New England, History, Colonial Period, ca. 1600-1775
- North America, History
- United States, History
- United States, History, Sources
- United States, Social Life and Customs, To 1775
- The Mayflower Pilgrims and Their World - Lecture [43:30] by author Nick Bunker, May 26, 2010. (Forum Network)
- Africans In America - Companion to the PBS series Africans in America. The site chronicles the history of slavery in the United States -- from the start of the Atlantic slave trade in the 16th century to the end of the American Civil War in 1865.
- American Journeys Eyewitness Accounts of Early American Exploration and Settlement - "More than 18,000 pages of eyewitness accounts of North American exploration, from the sagas of Vikings in Canada in AD1000 to the diaries of mountain men in the Rockies 800 years later."
- Castillo de San Marcos National Monument - St. Augustine, Florida
- Champlain Society - Provides full-text access to the Works of Samuel de Champlain translated by Henry Percival Biggar in their Digital Collection.
- Digital Witchcraft Collection - Cornell University collection of "104 English language books from the Witchcraft Collection is available to search, browse by title, or browse by author."
- Early Canadiana Online - Over two million pages of works published from the time of Canada's earliest settlers, and into the 20th century.
- Fire and Ice: Puritan and Reformed Writings