American History to 1877
Growth and Crisis in Colonial Society, 1720-1765
|Table of Contents||Previous Chapter||Next Chapter|
These resources have been selected by librarians to supplement HSTY201 classes (American History to 1877) at Tompkins Cortland Community College.
- Gale Virtual Reference Collection
- Books and eBooks in TC3 Collection
- Subject Headings
- Locating Journal Articles in Datbases
- Web Resources
TC3 students and staff have access to the Gale Virtual Reference Library which has over 250 academic reference encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. This is a good place to start your research because it provides useful background information.
- Cultural Life of the American Colonies, 1607-1763 [E162 .W89]
- Founding Mothers: the Women Who Raised Our Nation [E176 .R63 2004]
- French and Indian War - Online via Gale virtual reference library.
- French War and the Revolution [E178 .A51]
- Great Awakening: the Beginnings of Evangelical Pietism in America [BR520 .B9] - Primary Source
- History of the Commonwealth of Kentucky by Mann Butler. The appendix (pp. 365+) contains George Croghan's Diary describing the early exploration of the Ohio Valley in 1765. Primary Source.
- Journals [of Robert Rogers] [E199 .R722] - Primary Source
- On The Land: American Agriculture From Past to Present [S441 .H68]
- Religion in America: An Historical Account of the Development of American Religious Life [BL2530.U6 H8 1981]
- War That Made America: A Short History of the French and Indian War [E199 .A595 2005] - Primary Source.
To find books in the TC3 Library, search the Online Catalag; to find books in other libraries use the WorldCat or the SUNY Union Catalog. Books and other materials not in the TC3 collection may be requested through the TC3 Library's Get It! – Information Delivery service.
Try these suggested subject headings to find books on this topic in the TC3 Library Catalog as well as in the SUNY Union Catalog and WorldCat. To find books in the TC3 Library, go to the main Library page and search the TC3 Catalog.
- United States, History, Colonial period, ca. 1600-1775
- United States, History, French and Indian War, 1755-1763
- United States, Social Life and Customs, to 1775
- The Battle of Quebec (1999) - Streaming video, 26 minues, Films on Demand.
- American Journeys: Eyewitness Accounts of Early American Exploration and Settlement - Contains more than 18,000 pages of eyewitness accounts of North American exploration, from the sagas of Vikings in Canada in AD1000 to the diaries of mountain men in the Rockies 800 years later." Provided by the Wisconsin Historical Society.
- Early Canadiana Online - Primary sources include:
- Journal of the Siege of Quebec, 1760 by James Murray, 1871.
- Narrative of the doings during the siege of Quebec and the conquest of Canada by Religieuse de l'Hôpital général de Québec.
- Internet Archive: Texts - Full-texts of primary sources including:
- A brief narrative of the Indian charity-school in Lebanon in Connecticut (1767) - "Founded and carried on by that faithful servant of God, the Rev. Mr. Eleazar Wheelock."
- Leslie Brock Center for the Study of Colonial Currency - Compilation of web-based primary sources, as well as contemporory articles. Maintained by the University of Virginia's Electronic Text Center.
- Stories from Pennsylvania History: the French and Indian War in Pennsylvania - Images, video and web-based versions of primary text sources.