Everyone will be housed with other SIEI participants in one of the 7 residence halls on campus, a 10-minute walk from the Main Building and the Athletic Center. TC3 residence halls are apartment-style, containing a shared kitchen, shared bathroom and living area and four private bedrooms. Participants will be housed with other SIEI students.
Two Campus Eatery meals per day Monday-Friday are included in the program cost. Participants are responsible for third meal each day as well as weekend meals. Apartments are equipped with a kitchen and basic cooking utensils.
The following items will be provided and included in weekly laundry service:
- Two twin extra-long flat sheets and a standard pillowcase. (Pillow NOT provided.)
- A thermal blanket. (You may wish to bring an extra one from home as evenings can get chilly.)
- Standard-size towel, wash clothes.
Each bedroom has a modem and ethernet cable for internet connectivity. Although personal computers are widely available during the day in the Baker Learning Commons, you are strongly encouraged to bring a laptop computer if possible, since you will want to complete writing assignments in the evening. Also, many participants like to use Skype from their laptop to communicate for free with people at home.
One telephone and local phone service will be provided in a central location in each apartment. You can make calls in the immediate area or use a pre-purchased phone card to call outside of the country. Also, incoming calls from anywhere can be received for free.
To/From JFK International Airport, NYC: Bus service to and from JFK and TC3 is covered by the program, provided that participants arrive at a pre-designated arrival time. Transportation if arrival or departure falls outside of the pre-designated time must be arranged and covered by the participant.
Around town: There is limited bus service to and from TC3’s campus to the local commercial centers of Dryden, Ithaca and Cortland. The cost of local bus service is not included.
Program-related transportation: All required transportation considered to be part of the SIEI program is covered in the program cost.
Optional trips: Not included in the program cost is transportation to/from optional trips or excursion not considered part of the program but available to participants for an extra fee. Trips you organize on your own are not included, either.
What to bring or plan to purchase in the U.S.A.
- Prescription medications you require.
- Summer clothing, with some warmer clothing for cooler mornings and evenings.
- A light bathrobe.
- Waterproof sandals or thongs.
- Athletic wear, if you plan to do sports or work out in the fitness center
- Toiletries you can’t live without unless you are certain they’re available in the USA.
- Comfortable walking shoes.
- A safe method of carrying passport, credit cards, cash, traveler’s checks on your person.
- An English dictionary for use when the library is closed.
- If possible, a laptop or portable computer for completing assignments, researching after-hours and Skyping home.
Apartment (very basic kitchen utensils/pots/pans provided).
- A pillow.
- Any food, spice or condiment that you feel you will miss.
- Any utensils, pots, pans etc. that you’ll need in your apartment that isn’t provided.
- Groceries (cooking oil, salt/pepper, dish soap, cleaning supplies) if you plan to cook in your kitchen – on weekends, when the Campus Eatery is closed, for example. We suggest that roommates (four per apartment) share the cost of these basic items during your five weeks or even share them amongst two apartments.
- An extra blanket if you sleep cold.
- A small fan. Apartments are not equipped with fans and sleeping may be uncomfortable without one.
Other possible costs
- Fees, transportation, and food for any non-program related activities you attend.
- Many meals taken on program excursions should be covered by the participant. ($10/meal, average)
- Paper, some printing and other school supplies.
- Gifts and souvenirs to take back home.
- Phone cards for making international calls, if not using Skype.