Summer Intensive English Institute 2015
The Summer Intensive English
Institute is designed for:
- University professors and instructors
- University researchers
- Administrative professionals who need to improve their English and have greater cultural competency with people from English-speaking countries; administrators charged with “internationalizing” or “globalizing” their university
Participants of the Summer Intensive
English Institute will:
- Gain confidence in both spoken and written English
- Learn communication strategies in English in a variety
of formal and informal settings
- Improve networking with English-speakers and
understanding of U.S. culture
- Discover teaching strategies that will become
increasingly essential in today’s global academic
and professional environment
- Have the use of TC3’s research holdings
- Have opportunities to visit some of the academic,
natural, and cultural attractions of the Central
New York/Finger Lakes Region
2015 Program Dates
Program length will be five weeks.
Pre-Program Online Orientation
March 15 - May 31
Arrival: June 12
Week 1: Orientation, speaking test, goal-setting,
language classes begin
Weeks 2 - 4: Language instruction
Week 5: Language instruction, final evaluation, action plans, farewell party
July 18: Departure
English Classes and Professional Development Workshops
Pre-Program online homework (March through May, 2015)
English courses and professional development workshops at TC3 (June-July 2015):
- Academic Writing (eight hours/week) and Academic Speaking (eight hours/week) and Reading and Vocabulary courses
- Program-related excursions, opportunities to explore the local region
- Professional development workshops - one hour/week, minimum
Academic English Classes
English classes are taught by experienced instructors who specialize in academic and professional English. Every effort will be made to insure that the class you’ll be enrolled in meets your needs and fits your level. You will not receive grades for your work but instructors will review your work and give feedback. Attendance is required.
Spend 8 hours each week in class learning academic writing skills. Classes are organized by placement level to match each student’s ability.
Speaking and Conversation
Spend 8 hours each week in class learning academic speaking skills. Classes are organized by placement level to match each student’s ability.
Reading and Vocabulary
Spend 2 hours per week developing reading comprehension and building your vocabulary.
Three separate programs one for Professors and Instructors, for Researchers and for Administrators, with a focus on developing your cultural competency for working with speakers of North American English. Each professional development workshop meets approximately one hour per week.
Trips and Site Visits
For a minimal additional fee, visits to local points of interest and of cultural and educational value allow participants to practice English with members of the local community for a better understanding of the U.S., its culture, and the Finger Lakes Region’s many offerings.
Contact the Coordinator, Summer Intensive English Institute, TC3.