Tompkins Cortland Community College


Students and Parents

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Should I take College Credit?

  • To prepare for college by starting the transition to college level work.
  • To strengthen your college application.
  • To earn advanced standing at your college. Some students have graduated high school with more than 30 college credits.
  • To shorten the time it would take to complete your college degree - or to allow you to have a lighter load your first two semesters at college.
  • To explore your career interest – this works especially well with our CollegeNow Online courses.

Does my high school offer Concurrent Enrollment?

Every high school offers a different set of Concurrent Enrollment courses. Check out our list of course offerings by school to see what your options are.

I am taking a concurrent enrollment course at my high school. Which registration form do I complete?

You will want to complete the Concurrent Enrollment Course Registration Form NOT the "Online Registration Form". The Online Registration Form is for those high school students that are paying for an online course through the CollegeNow Online program.

Is Concurrent Enrollment transferable?

Concurrent Enrollment gives you real college credit with a college transcript. As part of the State University of New York (SUNY), Tompkins Cortland Community College's credits are highly transferable to colleges and universities around the nation. Our transcripts do NOT specially mark these courses as "Concurrent Enrollment". Your instructor has had their credentials reviewed against college standards, and our faculty has approved the curriculum. High school teachers are "adjuncts", teaching the same material, with the same textbooks, to the same standards that we use here on campus. Your transcript will not distinguish between a Tompkins Cortland course taken at the high school campus or on the main campus here in Dryden.

How do I transfer my college credits?

  • Once you enroll in a college, you need to formally request that they evaluate your college credits for transfer. Each college has a formal process for this review.
  • Contact the registrar’s office at your college, and ask them what steps you need to follow.
  • You will need to request that the College send an official transcript TO YOUR COLLEGE. If your college needs more information about our courses, such as a course description or course outline, or if you need more information, we would like to know so that we can help you! Please contact Rhonda at

What online courses can I take?

Through our CollegeNow Online program, high school juniors and seniors are offered access to the College's regular online courses. Juniors and seniors at participating NYS high schools that sign up through their guidance office are eligible for a reduced tuition rate. If you would like to use these courses for high school credit, they will need to be approved by your high school principal – we do not guarantee this approval. A full list of available courses is published in the CollegeNow Online Catalog.

Expand your course selection with our
CollegeNow Online Program